Friday 1 August 2014

Is She A Good'n?

So last time we met, we had narrowly escaped blowing ourselves up due to some seriously dodgy electrics.

As we drove home, I couldn't help but worry if Buttercup would turn out to be a bit of a liability. Looking back at my buying process I can see I really bought with my heart rather than my head. 

I'm the first person to admit that my mechanical know how is woeful.  Although to be fair, I stand a much better chance of being able to solve a problem on a old car than on a new computer operated one.  Back in the days of my youth when I drove a collection of motley vehicles that were bought mostly from auction for less than £400, I could change a tyre, change spark plugs and even have a go at doing an oil change.  But I've slept a lot since then and my cars have got newer...When I bought Buttercup, I had my limited knowledge of vintage cars (I used to own a Karmann Ghia, had regular access to a 1983 Mercedes 280SL and drove around Oz in a 1973 kombi) and other than having a feeling she was a good van, I didn't really have any hard evidence to go on.  GULP!

So having left her in the capable hands of MSC Prestige Garage  www.mscprestigegarage.com all I could do was wait for the verdict.  Mark at Prestige had agreed to give her a good look over and give us an honest opinion of her and the condition she was in.

A week later, the phone went and MSC flashed up on the screen.  Here we go, I thought, he's going to tell me, in the kindest way, I've bought a dud!  But thankfully, when I actually plucked up the courage and answered, the news was good!

According to Mark, she is a 'good, solid van'.  He'd gone over her with a fine tooth comb and besides a few little issues, nothing major is outstanding.  In his words "enjoy the season in her then book her in over winter to get the little bits sorted".  I can't tell you the relief.

More good news was to follow.  As mentioned in the second blog, keeping these vehicles undercover for the winter months is essential and the search for that holiest of grails, a garage in a city, had begun in earnest.  

Having advertised on gumtree and phoned every available rental garage, caravan park and private garage going we were starting to run out of ideas.  Everything was either already taken (which is obviously why the number of camper vans parked on the roads of Liverpool is minimal), too small height wise, too expensive or too far away.  Eventually, my wonderful other half found somewhere.  The only thing was we needed to have the van with us in order to check the height restriction.

Let me tell you that co-ordinating a visit to a possible garage when the firm's staff are based in Manchester, we are in Liverpool and the van is in Southport or Formby is like a military exercise.  After one aborted attempt when Buttercup's battery ran out, we finally found ourselves on the way to test the garage at a time that was convenient for all.  Phew!

Anyone who has driven a van or indeed, any vehicle that is taller than your average car will tell you that sloped access to garages, car parks and drive ways are the bane of their lives.  These slopes can make entry impossible and are far more effective than a barrier! Having measured the entry on a visit without Buttercup, we knew there wouldn't be much room to play with. Leaving me to negotiate the slope (well she is mine so I should take the responsibility if I plough her into the car park), Dom stood frantically waving hands, showing thumbs and generally being encouraging.  And I won't deny, my heart was in my mouth as we edged our way down the slope and under the lowest point of the ceiling.  But....we were clear!  She fits!

I felt like Cinderella with the glass slipper!

So now, not only do we have a lovely old van, but we have somewhere to keep her dry in the winter.  Hurray!  If only it was as easy to keep us dry in winter, life would be peachy!

Next time - A nearly domesticated goddess!

No comments:

Post a Comment