Thursday 7 August 2014

A Not so Domestic Goddess!




As mentioned a few blogs ago, Buttercup is undergoing a re-vamp at the Camper Shak. Following our initial meeting with Diane and Mike we had to go away and really think about what we might like.
We did a little decorating in our flat back at Easter and although we're really pleased with it the process of choosing colours, materials, curtains, carpets, paint etc etc left Dom and I a bit underwhelmed.  I'm the first to admit I'm no domestic goddess.  If the sun is shining and the house needs cleaning I will always opt to go out for the day and put the cleaning off for another day.  For me cleaning is a necessary evil and my very best and productive cleaning is done either as a work avoidance tactic (report writing season) or in the panic stricken half hour before guests are expected. And yet we had taken on a project that required not only cleaning and decorating but designing too! Funnily enough, both Dom and I have discovered a previously unsuspected enthusiasm for it!


Choosing Units

There is so much choice when you start thinking about re-designing a van.  There are so many creative ideas out there and if you trawl the net you will find it full of vans that are all different.  I have yet to see two VW campers that are the same.  While this is great for individuality, too much choice can be a bit daunting at times. The one thing we were absolutely decided on was the swing out cooker.  This will be positioned behind the passenger seat and can be used in the van when it rains (which let's be realistic is quite likely in Britain) or swung out to cook outdoors.  That was the easy bit.
We studied photos galore of other vans and selected units we were happy with only to change our minds the next day. And then change them again! Finally we decided upon the configuration we were happy with including a smart new fridge from Just Kampers.  This will be a real luxury as my old van in Oz had the original fridge which though very authentic could have been sued under the trade descriptions act as it really didn't keep anything cool never mind cold!  Not great in the heat of the outback! 
I think the key is to make the decision you are happy with and then not think about it again or you'll find yourself constantly wanting to change and update it.  So with the units picked, we had to focus on other fittings such as curtains and flooring.

Curtains

Dom was happy to leave this to me! 
Like me, Buttercup is a child of the 70's and I wanted the curtains and flooring to reflect this in some way. I really fancied bold patterns and found something I really liked on 
Pinterest - the only thing this is genuine 70's fabric and not readily available.


My back up plan was gingham.
One warm Saturday afternoon, my friend Julie who is making my curtains (please see some of her other crafts at www.facebook.com/YoungatHeartCrafts ) set off to the local fabric place Abakhan's in Liverpool. This is the Willie Wonker Chocolate factory for crafts and sewing and you can literally lose hours in here.
Julie and I were actually quite disciplined and remained on task.  There were lots of prints with the required 70's feel but unfortunately most of them were in cerise pink which is the one colour guaranteed to clash hideously with a bus that is the colour of a mango!
Having narrowed it down to a few choices, I finally went with the back up plan - and ok so they are daisies and not buttercups but I think it will look great!



Flooring

Most of the vans that have been done up seem to have chosen one of two things - 
  • checked floor tiles or checked lino on a roll
  • wood effect
I was quite determined I didn't want either.  I wanted Buttercup to stand out a bit.  I wanted her to look different.  However that was as far as my spec went.  I had no other guidelines which made looking for ideas quite a vast job.  How do you narrow your internet search when you don't really know what you want? Having typed jazzy flooring, 1970's vinyl flooring and patterned flooring, I gave it one last shot with Funky vinyl flooring. And having spent what seemed like days trying to source flooring for the van (which let me tell you was far longer than we spent choosing carpet for our newly decorated sitting room), I finally found what I was looking for.
It was bold, different and would definitely stand out.  Thanks to www.zazous.co.uk I have found what I hope will make a statement!



It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I personally, think it's fab and I can't wait to see it.
Roll on August Bank holiday when we get Buttercup back and head off.  But remember, don't forget to take your shoes off before stepping on my new floor...

Next time...Demolition Dom!

No comments:

Post a Comment