Friday 19 September 2014

September Summer

We're enjoying a prolonged summer at the moment. This September is officially the driest since records began.  So it seems only right that we should make the most of it and take Buttercup for some last minute camping before it gets too cold. 

I should point out here that Buttercup though running like a dream still has a dodgy (ie not working!) heating system.  This is often the case with these old vans.  Because the engine is air cooled and at the rear of the vehicle by the time the air passes through the heating pipes to the front it is generally luke warm at best. And if like us, you suspect the pipes are riddled with holes the air is just plain cold.  Perfect for summer but not so perfect once the temperature starts returning to the normal for this time of year.  One of Dom's many jobs on his to do list is to try and fix this.  As I have yet to travel in a late bay VW that has fully functioning heating I'm not holding my breath!

Anyway, back to the blog...Last Saturday, the weather was gorgeous so we took the decision to pack up the van and head quite literally for the hills. We had to be back by Sunday afternoon but the sun was just too tempting. For once we actually had a plan of where we were heading. Well Dom knew.

I have to confess here and this will come as no surprise to readers who know me that my sense of direction is appalling! I can generally remember routes once I've travelled them a couple of times but show me a diversion sign and ask me to use my navigation skills and I'm useless.  Added to this is my car sickness which is made one hundred times worse if I even attempt to look at a map. Because of this, Dom and I have struck a deal now. I always drive on the way to our destination which means any map reading is done by him.  He drives on the way back and as he is like a homing pigeon we have a good chance of making it back.

Dom had found a lovely spot on the map so off we set for Llyn Brenig in North Wales.  This is a reservoir that was first filled in 1979 and is now the fourth largest lake in Wales. There is cycling, fishing, sailing and walking all with beautiful views.


What struck us both as we set off around the edge of the lake was the quiet. It was really still and peaceful and there were just a handful of other people there.  We'd spotted a beach on the other side of the lake and this is what we were aiming for. The closer we got to it the less people we saw until eventually there was just the two of us (oh and Lamby of course).

At the beach, there were some mini cliffs made from the rock that had been cut away to form the reservoir.  They made an ideal seat and allowed me to take some more photos of the surroundings.


It was so quiet, we could actually hear this little stream running into the lake. That is until the quiet was rudely shattered by some people on motorbikes. I can see why the roads around here would appeal to bikers but we were enjoying peace and tranquillity. As they passed we heaved a sigh of relief and continued to enjoy the view.  Unfortunately, these bikes were determined to drive up and down the same stretch of road repeatedly for the next 20 minutes.  I know the country is there for us all to enjoy but I wanted them to disappear and leave the countryside for just the two of us. Selfish? Maybe but I'm sure anyone else who'd been there would have agreed!

That aside, we continued to enjoy the lake complete with our very own Ducks and Drakes competition which I won! I do believe the winning bounce count was 7.

There was just time for one more photo as the light changed before we headed back to the van.


We'd already passed our potential resting place for the night earlier in the day so all we had to do was pick up some frozen potato waffles (who says camping is glamorous) to accompany our dinner and we were set for the night. I should point out here that waffles are not something we eat on a regular basis, but they are easy to cook when all you have are a grill and hob.  

The evening was spent overlooking a valley and enjoying a glass of red. Even Lamby got in on the act.

         

And with views like this from your bedroom window what could be better?


Having a van is fantastic! I feel truly blessed and lucky that the sale of my old flat has allowed my dream to become a reality.  Our little weekends away might not be everyone's cup of tea. For some people an ideal weekend is a stay in a 5 star hotel with luxury on tap.  I can see the appeal of that too but there is something quite special about packing up and hitting the road. Sometimes you have a firm idea of where you are heading, sometimes you make it up as you go.  To sum up having the van and getting away for little trips is a simple life but undoubtedly a good one.




No comments:

Post a Comment